Camp Writing -
With butterflies in my stomach I charged down the mysterious, windy path trying to find an opening from this green, bushy, jungle.
Suddenly, I stopped. My mouth dropped and my eyes widened. A magnificent, 17 metre high tree was twisting up to the sky in front of me like, a skyscraper.
My heart stopped when Caveman called my name. With my heart in my throat, I put on my harness and helmet on and shuffled towards Luca. “ Don't worry it's easy ” said Luca. I looked up at the spiraling tree, I didn't think so. By then I had been clipped onto a firm rope and without thinking I began to climb…
One foot after the other, I navigated my arms and legs to then pull myself up and up and up. I had done it. With one final heave, I threw my body onto the safety of the platform. I had done it or so I thought. I let the glory wash around in my head for a moment, before I went back into my worried phase for the worst part. Coming down!
Cave man said “ just step off ”. I laughed thinking it was a joke but when I looked up, not to my fancy he was dead serious. “What “ I blurted out now with my heart beating so fast I couldn't breathe. “ Just step off “. I couldn't think of an excuse not to so I just closed my eyes and stepped off the platform.
Now dangling in mid air, I thought “ that wasn't so hard “ until the wind blew me side to side and the platform above me creaked. I was petrified. With my legs shaking, I froze. Another blast of wind hit me, knocking me back into action as I threaded the rope through my harness and slowly was lowered to the ground where I was safe.
Once again I felt proud of myself as fellow group members cheered. It was all over, my feet were firmly on the ground and all I could hear was giggles from Luca singing ‘ Mans not hot “. All I could say for myself was…… “ CAN I GO AGAIN “.
No comments:
Post a Comment